Purpose of the Role:
This is a Deputy Commercial Director role to work along side the Commercial Director to manage a large commercial team, remain hands on, and with the opportunity to step beyond this role.
- Responsible for all commercial and financial management activities undertaken by the company.
- Ensure that they uphold the company values and promote the company.
- Ensure that the company is a cost viable operation, which produces at profitable return with the least amount of risk.
- To perform the role of one of the company representatives.
- To work with the other board members to ensure that the company objectives and obligations are met.
- To manage all commercial aspects of the company projects.
- Provide Senior Management and the Operations Team with commercial advice and reports.
- Ensure systems are in place to adequately monitor, review and control costs, risks and commercial process.
Principal Accountabilities of the Role:
- To ensure that all staff are made aware of the obligations of the Contractor and Employer under the contract.
- To advise staff on all commercial and legal matters within the company.
- To ensure that the commercial function carries out its work in a professional and open manner and in compliance with the company procedures.
- To lead the commercial team to ensure that good relationships and working practices are established and maintained with the client and the supply chain.
- Liaise with the Commercial Managers / Surveyor’s to oversee management of forecasting, budgeting and cost reporting functions.
- Lead the Commercial Managers / Surveyors to identify problems or matters requiring resolution in order to establish common Commercial Department policy and procedures.
- Oversee the sub-contract procurement programme to ensure that sub-contractors are procured in accordance with procedures and on the best commercial terms where appropriate.
- Oversee the change control and variation process procedures to ensure they are adhered to.
- Oversee the risk management function to ensure compliance with policy and procedures.
- Oversee the procurement function to ensure that goods and services are obtained in accordance with the contract requirements on the best commercial terms.
- Ensure that the insurance claims are managed and the claims process is adhered to.
- Liaise with and co-ordinate legal, tax, insurance and commercial inputs to the company.
- Ensure suitable and compatible management systems within the group companies.
- Responsible for ensuring that monthly invoicing is done on time to create a neutral cash flow.
- Manage contract audits twice yearly.
- Carry out regular reviews of the commercial function to ensure “best practice” is maintained.
- Assurance that the correct financial recovery is achieved.
- Supervise management of forecasting, budgeting and cost reporting in liaison with the finance department such that audit records are established and applications for payment submitted by the required period end dates.
- Liaise with the company Commercial Managers to identify problems of matters requiring resolution in order to establish common Commercial policy.
- Manage Implementation and review sub-contract procurement programme to ensure sub-contractors are procured as required.
- Maintain overview of sub contract accounts to ensure they are being progressed to a satisfactory conclusion. In the event that any disputes arise provide advices to commercial staff and where required become actively involved in the resolution of the dispute to ensure its rapid and efficient conclusion.
- Ensure the procedures for change control and variation processes include identification, pricing and negotiation of the value of changes with the company and are adhered to.
- Ensure that all reports are prepared as required including line management of reports within the commercial team.
- Monitor the introduction and assurance of Business Risk Management and Business Improvement efficiency to all projects.
- Overall responsibility for managing and maintaining all costing, valuation, reporting and project filling systems, thus allowing all projects/work activities are correctly estimated and clearly understood for the correct commercial agreements put in place which are profitable.
- Production of monthly financial reports, turnover/profit forecasts and cash flow forecasts, monitoring of project costs and the management of the interface with clients to ensure timely settlement of accounts.
- Effective Project Management Knowledge and Leadership skills are essential, along with the ability to work under pressure and to tight timescales, whilst ensuring an excellent working relationship with the client and the rest of the team.
- A disciplined, organised professional with personal drive and autonomy.
- A minimum HNC/HND qualification within Commercial Manager / Quantity Surveying.
- Ideally chartered with the RICS or equivalent.
- Previous commercial management experience in a construction environment.
- Professional training or a graduate with evidence of ongoing professional development.
- Awareness of financial/ management accounting and reporting procedures.
- Business analysis – able to document processes and recommend improvements.
- IT skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Visio, Adobe Pro etc.
- Ability to build strong relationships with people at all levels.
IHG are proud to be an equal opportunities employer.