Location: Capswood, Denham, Buckinghamshire or Oman
Contract: Permanent (would consider interim contract for 3-6 months)
Responsible to: CEO
Purpose of the Role:
The Design and Engineering Director will be responsible for ensuring that design is completed and coordinated to meet the client requirements and site construction programmes. The role holder will manage the designers, design consultants and liaise regularly with the client’s team on all design related matters. The Design and Engineering Director is to be health and safety aware, ensure work is delivered to the prescribed and required quality, and lead on the designated programme requirements and to agreed budget.
- Heading up the design, procurement and development process in consideration of program, cost, health & safety, sustainability and quality requirements
- Early identification of issues with design and coordination.
- Managing the production of the project design by the consultants;
- Clarifying and managing scopes, interface and responsibilities of design stakeholders;
- Identifying and appointing design consultants;
- Reviewing progress against project programmes and the effective flow of design and production information, through regular meetings and establishing communication platforms;
- Liaising with the project team and once design is sufficiently complete, ensuring an efficient hand over is delivered to the project team;
- Value Engineering and design change control;
- Approve and maintain a design management plan and other design documentation.
- Ensure that the design team is working within the procedures and processes detailed in the Design Management Plan.
- Providing leadership on the “buildability” of the design proposals to the design and construction teams.
- Ensure that all relevant stakeholders are informed of information release from 3rd parties in a timely manner.
- Organise and manage internal and external design meetings with the design team.
- Monitor design deliverables ensuring that the design consultants are meeting their key deliverables.
- Identifying and directing on design and construction related risks and resolving design issues from the client, design consultants and project teams.
- Ensure that the design team/consultants are reporting progress at agreed intervals.
- Manage Stakeholders and stakeholder meetings.
- Organise progress review meetings with the client’s team and manage and lead on required outcomes.
- Lead on design changes working closely with the commercial team and the project director.
- Uncompromising approach to ensure safety standards and targets are met and maintained.
- Lead their Design Team and manage any Contractor Design Packages (CDP) ensuring that the supply chain is delivering design works to time, cost and quality targets and standards, ensuring ownership throughout the team, holding themselves and others accountable.
- Promote a working environment that allows all their team members to work to the best of their abilities.
- Will involve leading on design and build projects from tender stage through to delivery.
- Manage design resources effectively.
- Monitor actual Design progress and report delays promptly to the Project Director.
- Lead on the principles of programming.
- Understanding and adhering to the project document control systems.
Policies and Procedures
- Adhere to all company and departmental policy and procedure.
- Comply with statutory and company health and safety policies.
- Attend weekly/monthly departmental meetings as required.
- Ensure annual appraisals, job chats and job reviews are completed in line with company policy.
- Attend meetings and training as required.
- Ensure regular and appropriate communication with other departments to maintain a courteous and professional relationship.
- Attend work punctually.
- Maintain the highest standards of personal presentation and hygiene.
- Undertake any other reasonable tasks allocated by the Senior Management.
- Design Management.
- Managing healthcare design projects.
- Knowledge of P6 and Asta Power Projects.
- Knowledge of Aconex.
- Able to quickly gain technical, behavioural and contextual elements of the project.
- Major constructional health experience.
- Relevant construction related degree.
- Personal drive for achievement
- Professional work ethic
- Able to work as part of a team
- Ability to build strong relationships with people at all levels.
- Able to prioritise to meet deadlines
- Logical approach to problem solving
- Available to travel as and when required
This job description covers the main objectives, responsibilities and authorities of this position at present. Where necessary, changes may be made from time to time involving like or integrated work.
IHG are proud to be an equal opportunities employer.